How the US moves forward on food and farm policy is vitally important to the future of our country, and world.
CAN YOU MAKE A DIFFERENCE ABOUT THIS RIGHT NOW?
Yes, you can.
- Write to the Obama transition team.
- Write and call Rep. Rick Larsen, Senators Patty Murray, and Maria Cantwell.
- READ AND VIEW MORE on this from Michael Pollan and Nicholas Kristof.
GOT TIME TO READ A BIT MORE ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF THIS DECISION?
Former Iowa governor Tom Vilsack has been chosen for this post. Vilsack has:
- Supported cloning of cows;
- Originated the seed pre-emption bill in 2005 which prohibited local governments' ability to regulate seeds - including the decision on where genetically engineered/modified (GE, GMO) crops would be grown, or having GMO/GE-free buffers, among other things;
- Vigorously supported genetically engineered(GE/GMO) crops and chemical and energy-intensive industrial agriculture; and
- Often traveled in Monsanto's jet.